ITASCA, Ill. – Thirty-five hospitals and health systems in Illinois and northwest Indiana are being recognized for saving and improving lives during the COVID-19 pandemic by educating encouraging their employees and residents of their communities to register as organ, eye, and tissue donors.
Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network, the nonprofit responsible for coordinating organ donation in the northern three-quarters of Illinois and northwest Indiana, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) are honoring the hospitals and systems for their work as part of HRSA’s National Hospital Organ Donation Campaign.
During the campaign October 2020 through April 2021, Gift of Hope and other organ procurement organizations across the country supported more than 1,400 hospitals and systems in educating their staffs and communities about the crucial need for organ, eye, and tissue donation, and encouraging donor registration. The campaign generated more than 27,000 new donor registrations nationally.
Gift of Hope will honor the 35 local hospitals and systems at a ceremony in July. The hospitals and systems recognized are:
- AMITA Health St. Alexius Medical Center Hoffman Estates, Ill.
- Blessing Hospital, Quincy, Ill.
- Community Hospital, Munster, Ind.
- Edward Hospital, Naperville, Ill.
- Elmhurst Hospital, Ill.
- Franciscan Health Crown Point, Ind.
- Franciscan Health Dyer, Ind.
- Franciscan Health Hammond, Ind.
- Franciscan Health Munster, Ind.
- Franciscan Health Olympia Fields, Ill.
- The Loretto Hospital, Chicago
- Mercyhealth Javon Bea Hospital–Riverside, Rockford, Ill.
- Methodist Hospitals Northlake Campus, Gary, Ind.
- Methodist Hospitals Southlake Campus, Merrillville, Ind.
- OSF Center for Health – Streator, Ill.
- OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center, Urbana, Ill.
- OSF Holy Family Medical Center, Monmouth, Ill.
- OSF Little Company of Mary Medical Center, Evergreen Park, Ill.
- OSF Sacred Heart Medical Center, Danville, Ill.
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rockford, Ill.
- OSF Saint Elizabeth Medical Center, Ottawa, Ill.
- OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Ill.
- OSF Saint James – John W. Albrecht Medical Center, Pontiac, Ill.
- OSF Saint Joseph Medical Center, Bloomington, Ill.
- OSF Saint Luke Medical Center, Kewanee, Ill.
- OSF St. Mary Medical Center, Galesburg, Ill.
- Catherine Hospital, East Chicago, Ind.
- Mary Medical Center, Hobart, Ind.
- UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial, Harvey, Ill.
- UnityPoint Health Methodist, Peoria, Ill.
- UnityPoint Health Pekin, Ill.
- UnityPoint Health Proctor, Peoria, Ill.
- UnityPoint Health Trinity Moline, Ill.
- UnityPoint Health Trinity Rock Island, Ill.
- The University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System (UI Health), Chicago
About Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network
Gift of Hope is the not-for-profit organ procurement organization that coordinates organ and tissue donation and provides public education on donation in Illinois and northwest Indiana. As one of 58 OPOs that make up the nation’s donation system, we work with 180 hospitals and serve 12 million people in our donation service area. Since 1986, our work has saved the lives of more than 23,000 organ transplant recipients and improved the lives of hundreds of thousands of tissue transplant recipients.
Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Donor Network